CLICK HERE TO LISTEN!
The 7th edition of SPOOKY SONGS is coming at you on The Purple Stuff Podcast! It’s hard to believe that we’ve come this far, but Dinosaur Dracula and I love doing the Spooky Songs show. It’s one of our most fun episodes. In light of a really odd year, it’s nice to just cozy up into your Halloween 6 blanket with some pumpkin coffee and chill out while listening to some tunes. We’ve got 10 tracks for you that smack with spooky vibes. We’re getting into some rare territory which is very cool! Expect the unexpected here, but we’ve got you covered. You’ll here us talk about songs from horror movies, late night TV show intros, and GHOSTBUSTERS! It’s a damn good time and I’m happy we’ve arrived at it. We hope you dig this one and as always, your support is appreciated! I hope you are enjoying your Halloween season!
If you would like to support the Purple Stuff Podcast and get access to all of our bonus episodes, you can visit us on Patreon.com/PurpleStuff
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN!
The hot, blazing summer has come for all of us. Just think, if we make it out alive we are one step closer to the Halloween season! At least that’s my incentive to persevere through these hellish, humid days. Even though it’s my least favorite season, I admit that theres so much to enjoy about it. If you can deal with swamp ass and drenching back sweat then you’ll have no problem appreciating the finer things that the summer has to offer. To encapsulate it all into one tiny nostalgic trip, The Purple Stuff Podcast is very excited to bring to you SUMMER SATURDAYS! We look at this as a way for you to savor the summer while sipping Shasta cans in the yard.
What is Summer Saturdays you ask? Essentially, me and Matt will be bringing you a new podcast every Saturday throughout July focusing on some of the highlights of summer for us. We’ll be presenting a variety of different themes during this extravaganza, but first, to kick things off, we have a music show for you compiling our summer playlists. You know us by now, we intentionally try to avoid the typical fare in favor of spotlighting the slightly more obscure stuff.
Whacked out is the best way to describe the variety on this episode. From songs heard in horror films to more songs heard in horror films to a member of the Mickey Mouse Club, to The Lost Boys on the beach, to fun with Phoebe Cates it’s just bananas. Check this one out if you’re chilling by your pool, doing yard work, *PAINTING THE FENCE, or just living that sloth life on your couch in the air conditioning. It’s a fun way to kick off your summer and we’ve got a lot more in store for you this month so stay tuned!
Thank you for listening to the show! If you would like to support The Purple Stuff Podcast we greatly appreciate your help! You can spread the word to friends IRL, leave us a positive review on iTunes, share us on social media, or join in the fun on our Patreon where we present a monthly bonus show exclusively for our “Patronies.” Thanks again and we hope your summer kicks ass.
*Can you name what movie this references? That’s another hint to a movie that gets brought up in this episode thanks to the awesome summer song!
I refuse to get sucked into another TV singing competition like American Idol. And thanks to Miss Sexy Armpit I don’t have to because I rely on her to tell me all about Idol, The Voice, and X-Factor. Out of all of them I like X-Factor the best, but mainly because that’s where Simon Cowell is. Without his cutting remarks, why watch any of these shows? Well, occasionally there’s contestants from Jersey who are often pretty damn good. A singer/songwriter who already had a low key, yet decent little career going for herself is Charlotte Sometimes. She grew up in Wall Township, New Jersey and is now appearing on NBC’s The Voice and is being mentored by Blake Shelton. Above is the video for her song “How I Could Just Kill A Man.” Unfortunately it’s not a Cypress Hill cover, but pretty damn catchy in it’s own right.
Visit Charlotte Sometimes’ official blog page at The Voice site:
You may not have known that Newark NJ native Fred “And bring your jukebox money” Schneider of the B52’s has a side band called The Superions. The song “Crummy Christmas Tree” appears on the whimsical synth pop act’s 2010 Holiday album called Destination…Christmas! We used to call them Charlie Brown Trees but “Crummy” is definitely another way to describe one.
“Barry Manilow you better cover your ears…”
In honor of METAL DAY, here are a few items from around the Internet that help illustrate New Jersey’s prominence as one of the most METAL states in America. Check these out! m/m/
– I found this classic clip from News 4 New York on YouTube that features interviews with employees and shoppers at Rock n Roll Heaven, a legendary music store in Clark, NJ. Reporter Anna Bond asks the folks in the store about the appeal of heavy metal with the underlying spin of metal being “the devil’s music.” The nightly news hasn’t changed much. Thanks to YouTube user playmobilfriends for posting the video!
– Read Newark Metal Music Examiner writer Scott Boutsikaris’ memories of Rock n Roll Heaven record store!
– Back in January 2009, the website Metal Injection did an awesome post on The State of METAL music in New Jersey. Some of the most popular metal bands from the Garden State are discussed in the article including The Dillinger Escape Plan, God Forbid, Monster Magnet, Overkill, and they also included The Misfits for their far reaching influence over rock and metal.
– Also, keep on the lookout for young and relentless NJ metal heads Rapid Fire: http://www.reverbnation.com/rapidxfire
Fans of NYC rockers The Dirty Pearls have the chance to win tickets to see their next live show on 12/9 at The Gramercy Theater! Watch the video above for “Who’s Coming Back To Who?” (look for the Where’s Waldo style cameos by The Sexy Armpit) which will help you answer the questions below. Only the real fans of The Dirty Pearls will be able to get the answers to these! Winner will be chosen on 11/16.
E-mail your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What exact time does lead actor Jasin Cadic meet and shake hands with Kelle Calco?
2. How many bottles are on the coffee table?
3. What color is the phone that Breedlove is on?
4. Which shoulder does Tommy London have his dead Elvis tattoo on?
5. How many times does lead actor Jasin Cadic tap Jeanine Moss on her shoulder to get her attention?
6. What exact time does Brian Newman put out his cigarette?
7. Who ended up coming back to who?