– Tonight, the legendary Loews Jersey Theater in Jersey City has a Caper Films series going on and THE ORIGINAL Thomas Crown Affair will be showing tonight. This movie kicks ass and nothing beats Steve McQueen and the hottness of Faye Dunaway. 8:00 PM (Also this weekend: Take the Money and Run and The Sting)
– On Saturday catch NJ rockers Scarlet Carson are headlining Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ for their CD release party. Several other great bands are featured as well such as: The New Black, Life Without Warning, and Jaded Faith.
– Also on Saturday night, the glammed out pop/rock band Sweet Fix will put on their musical spectacle when opening up for ’80s safety dancers Men Without Hats at Mexicali Live in Teaneck, NJ.
– Elaine’s Dinner Theater presents the horror spoof Gone With The Werewolves through November.
– The Hexagon Players will put on their production of Wizard of Oz at Bernards High School in Bernardsville NJ through October 1st. http://hexagonplayers.org/
The Press of Atlantic City.com, Shock Til You Drop, and Dread Central have all previously reported that a horror themed restaurant and wax museum may be coming to Atlantic City!
I want to be elated about this news, but there’s something that really burns my ass about it. We have had a complete drought of any haunted/horror attractions in The Garden State for decades. For those of us who were lucky enough to experience them, we had the luxury of Castle Dracula in Wildwood, The Haunted Castle in Six Flags Great Adventure, and The Spookhouse in Keansburg – which is still there! But for some reason our theme parks and our boardwalks have ignored horror themed attractions for a long time most likely because it might scare the kids. That is such bullshit. Kids need to get the crap scared out of them once in a while, it’s good for them! Personally, even as a kid, being scared was my favorite feeling. I craved horror movies and I longed to go back to Disneyland just to go into the Haunted Mansion. Over the years you could imagine how my hunger for horror has increased since then.
It seems to me that, aside from bloggers, indie filmmakers, and a select handful of others, that the renewed love for the horror and Gothic genres is due to the fake vampire/werewolf craze that Twilight started. It makes me want to puke. The only way we can get wax museums full of monsters and haunted restaurants in New Jersey is if developers see dollar signs. If Twilight does happen to be one of the driving forces behind this new attraction, then I’m fine with it because I’ll take what I can get. I spent too many hours traveling to Manhattan to go to Jekyll and Hyde’s as a punk kid not to mention too much money on their damn food as well.
Attorney Bela Lugosi Jr. is lending his legal help to the project while both he and Sara Karloff are assisting with procuring licensing agreements through their industry contacts. The Hollywood Horror Cafe is only one of the working names for the restaurant. The other possible names are The Gothic Grille and and Frank-N-Stein Bar and Grille.
Don’t hold your breath on this new horror themed attraction. Developers love to stir up the pot but never actually serve the brew. Luckily you have another option. Not far from Atlantic City you can visit Elaine’s Haunted House and Dinner Theater in Cape May NJ, especially during October!